WSHS’s Black Student Union

Adalyn Wakefield

Here at WSHS, the BSU is a club that is open for all students regardless of race. It stands for Black Student Union. It is a small group where students get involved in highlighting the Black experience at school. They meet up every Thursday in Ferda’s room. It was previously called the Diversity club. Formerly with Ms. Perletti, Ms. Ferda is the admin for the Black student union.  

Some of the challenges running the club is having more students being involved since there are not many people who are in the club.  

Some of their plans include a video documentary about the Black community here at WSHS, sharing the Black student’s voices, their perspective, and highlighting their experience in west Seattle high school.  

A member of the Black Student Union, Fiona Tesfamariam, worked on the documentary along with other Black women at west Seattle working towards shedding light on their stories and experiences here at WSHS. As Fiona put it, a member of BSU, “I think it went fantastic, it definitely felt like somethings been lifted off my chest because I don’t talk about it as often as I do. Racism is a hard topic to talk about and I never really got the chance to learn about it in school because of the curriculum.”   

The members in Black Student Union would like the community here at WSHS to become a safe place, so students can become allies. To have it be developed into a community inside and out of the school. To create a positive experience for the Black students so they feel represented.  

Tesfamariam says, “The whole goal of BSU is to have kids of color, even if you’re not Black just to have you come and talk about your own problems that happened in your life based off of racism, but mainly to have kids feel comfortable to talk about their issues in a safe place where they won’t feel judged or watched.”  

This leads to what other students think in the school and their opinions on the BSU club. When taking that into consideration, people have different ways of reacting to racism or how they feel towards it.  

Fiona’s response to this is, “I feel like most kids say, ‘oh we just have it to have it here because there’s no black people here’ and a lot of kids think that BSU is just not a place that’s comfortable for them to go, to talk to about whatever racial encounters they have encountered in their lives or what daily racism they go through and the struggles in their lives”  

Since we are a predominantly white school, the numbers of the club are being affected. BSU is still open if you would like to join either to be an ally, or to have your voice represented in the community.