Breaking: Winter Break is right around the corner!

Owen Murray

This December, students have the chance to spend their time enjoying the winter in Seattle!

The Seattle School District break spans from a Friday, December 16 hour-early dismissal to Monday, January 2 (the new year!). Students have many entertaining options to explore with their time off school and will be looking for relief from a school year that already feels long.

So, what are some activities we can do over break?

In the past, I’ve spent time at Snoqualmie Pass, where apart from skiing and snowboarding visitors can try the tubing park. Located in the same area, it provides an easy escape from the city while not having to bring or rent a ton of gear. This year, the FIFA World Cup will be wrapping up, with the final scheduled for December 18, the first Sunday of winter break. Many students, including myself, will be eagerly awaiting the match. The game, set for 7:00 AM PST, will have fans up early on one of their days off to see some of the world’s best play. Wrap yourself up in a blanket, find a warm drink, and enjoy the football!

In the Olympian newsroom, several writers are taking to the slopes, including Anna Rusen, who plans on heading up to the Summit at Snoqualmie, and Ellie G, who’s going backcountry skiing. Alternatively, Jack Bennett is going to be staying inside in front of a fireplace with hot chocolate. Mr. Glover will also be staying inside. He claims he’s going to watch all the Star Wars movies back-to-back, without stopping to sleep, a chance he hasn’t yet gotten to take.

Students looking for activities to do over break might look towards one of a few popular movies screening at cinemas such as the Admiral Theater near WSHS or one of the AMC locations at Southcenter or downtown. The sequel to the critically acclaimed Marvel production Black Panther is currently showing, and the second film in the Knives Out franchise, Glass Onion, released November 23 in theaters ahead of a streaming release a month later.

Alternatively, snow sports are available at Mount Baker, Crystal Mountain, and Snoqualmie, where students can purchase a day pass starting at around $73. However, many locations advise that skiers and snowboarders secure lift tickets in advance, as they’re in high demand and often sell out quickly.

For students wanting to stay in West Seattle, the annual Winter Wander scavenger hunt is free and open to anyone looking for an adventure. Last year, the first team to complete the challenge, which involved deciphering clues and taking pictures with signs hidden throughout various neighborhoods, received around $200 in gift cards to local businesses.

This year during Winter Break, make sure to take time to relax and find activities you enjoy. Such a chance to step back from a daily grind is invaluable to students and recognizing that to its fullest potential is key to having a great time!